Sunday, September 6, 2009

Using Korean in the English Classroom

I have specific ideas about how the students' native language should be utilized in my English Classroom environment. Firstly, there are specific times my co-teacher translates and it really really bugs me, because there is not need. here are some of the times I think it is IMPERATIVE that Korean NOT be used:

1) The 5 W's & H
Sudents should know the translation and how to respond to Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How without need of translation. Oftentimes, they will listen to me talk and there is a deafening silence in the room following a W word. they are waiting for co-teacher to translate.

I try to combat this problem by asking frequent questions in my lesson, and focusing only on one or two of the W's at a time. I will say the korean, "What is 누구 in English? How about 오디?" let them guess, and then use the English, "Right, Where! Now where are Julie and Minsu?" I don't keep translating for them. these are basic words and it's imperative they know how to hear, understand and respond to them.

2) VOCABULARY. If I use vocabulary in a sentence, PLEASE DO NOT keep saying it in korean after me. If they have already learned, "What time is it?" then it is their responsibility to know that material. As the English teacher, I very carefully choose my phrasage when speaking candidly to my students. I use "How about," "sorry?" and other specific phrases I know they should understand. translating for them undermines our lesson value and reinforces an idea in our students' minds that there will always be someone there to translate, so theres little need to try too hard for too long. (it's like watching a movie and thinking you understand the language, but really you'd be totally lost without the subtitles)

When is it okay to use Korean in the classroom?

1) Giving instructions. I am not heartless. I don't expect you to know everything I'm saying. instructions should be given in Korean. (english & korean if theres time) This also includes talking about cultural differences, as well as grammar/spelling rules of the language (example: when two vowels walk side by side, the first one says its name with pride)

2) Answering questions (when they pertain to class and can't be done in English)

3) Step & Jump (it's half in English, half in korean)

4) Look & Listen (section of little scene role plays on the DVD rom) Can it be beneficial to translate that to Krean for your students? I think yes. But I don't do this for them. We watch the scene together and talk about it. Then they listen & repeat in ENGLISH. then I have them Listen and say it out loud in KOREAN. my co-teacher and I can then check IN CONTEXT, if they've understood what the phrase means. if they get it wrong, the co-teacher corrects them, and we say it again. then, one more time, we repeat in ENGLISH, then watch the scene.

The point in class being, I think is to use the English we have, use visual and auditory clues to understand a new word, phrase or concept.
In this way we are creating a PATH in our brain, and carving out a space for the ENGLISH to exist.
If we simply use language-to language translation, there is no connection to signifiers, and the brain automatically will latch onto the korean word when it sees a recognized signifier.

No comments:

Post a Comment